Sunday, June 22, 2008

I am Legend

My days are great, filled with work and co-workers. Nights are quieter. We were told not to leave our house at night. Seeing how it is dark by 6pm, this seemed to be a limiting restriction. Sam and I fill our nights with making dinner, talking about history, politics, & culture and playing cards. (Sam is an Indian who moved to the U.S with his wife a few years ago. He works for Planet Aid in Washington, D.C. We had only met a few times before the flight to South Africa, but we’ve proved to be easy travel partners and good friends. We live together along with Leslie). We soon discovered counterfeit DVDs and added watching those to our nightly activities. We’ve been watching a Denzel Washington collection, which boasts to have 32 movies, but since half of them are advertised as part two of movies that don’t actually have part twos, there are about 18 movies. I never knew there were so many good Denzel Washington movies I hadn’t seen.

It also affords me lots of time for reading & writing in my lovely travel journal and going to bed early, which I need to do now to get up for work on time.

One night sitting at the kitchen table I told Sam that I felt like I was in the movie I am Legend, because I had never been out at night and I wondered what it was like “out there”. Our first weekend we had the opportunity to find out. We went to dinner at a wonderful Indian restaurant with some co-workers with a company car. Truth be told, it’s pretty dead at night but at least my curiosity was quenched. As Sam turned to me and said, “now we don’t have to be I am Legend anymore.”

No comments: