Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lack of sleep induced mush and some truth

I'm eating lunch and this piece of meat I just ate tasted like cat food smells. It's not too appetizing of an association. I am at the office but not really working because I stayed up all night to help Enock & Lisbeth, our country director, finish a USAID proposal for HIV/AIDS prevention. It was great. If we receive the funding, we will reach an additional 2 million people. (And if we don't, someone else will get the money for their project).I love the things I've been able to experience and contribute to in my job here. It kills me that I finally have a job I love and it is only for three months. It is a tease. But it reminds me of a good Buddhist principle...nothing is permanent. Anyway, I am hopeful that my experience here will help me get another job in Africa in the not too distance future (and a comparable job in the U.S. in the meantime).

Besides loving my job, I love it here. Today in the car on the way back to town from Chilangoma watching the beautiful scenery go by(we stayed at the Teacher Training College last night to work on the proposal there), I fell in love with Malawi. (It also helps that after three days of gray and cold, the sun is shining. I think living in California has ruined me forever. I now have the expectation that the sun should shine.)

It has definitely been a slow growing love, as some things are...not like the instant rapture I felt for Mali. But I find that as I grow personally and perhaps get older (a combination of experience and time) my emotions have found more of a middle ground, which I am grateful for.

I'm going to get a $13 massage for my aching shoulders...

No comments: