Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Some things don't translate

How is everyone? I haven't been receiving as many emails lately...remember I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, I am just in Africa! :0 Just kidding. Hopefully you are all just busy having fun summers. I can't believe yesterday was July 1st already. It sure didn't feel like it...in every region of the U.S. I've lived in July has been the hottest month, but yesterday was one of our colder days here.

There has been lots going on in my little life here. On Monday I participated in a Big Walk (their term for a walk a thon). It was initiated by Ben, an American DI here (Development Instructor) and was a joint effort between TCE and a CBO (Community Based Organization). We raised money to pay for the school fees of orphans. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't participated in a walk a thon since grade school, and it brought back memories of walking around the few blocks behind our school which seemed so long at the time but now seems a very short distance.

I took three buses out to the area where the walk began, and then we walked back to town. We walked 25 kilometers (whatever that means. I think it's completely ridiculous that we are the only country that doesn't use the metric system. I think I will ask Obama to change this when he becomes president. I have some bones to pick with him anyway, which I will save for another time. At any rate, I no longer know how much I weigh, how tall people are, how long it takes to get somewhere, what the temperature is, or how much food I am buying. :) )

It was a nice, sunny walk and the participants sang beautiful songs in Chichewa (the local language here). I unfortunately got a funny sunburn of my hand print on my shoulder (I like to pride myself on not getting sunburns). I think I was distracted from finishing my task by the Malawians laughing at me. I started out the walk with a long sleeve shirt on, and when I took it off, I applied sunscreen to my shoulders and arms. My sunscreen is a spray, so apparently the sight of me spraying myself was hilarious. I started wondering why people were laughing and then saw this woman in front on me imitating me. I asked a guy next to me if were laughing at me. He said, yes, we want some of your perfume. I tried to explain that it was for the sun, but I don't think they were looking for an explanation, just amusement.

It's almost the time that my stagecoach turns into a pumpkin, so I will sign off and hope to write again soon...

2 comments:

Liza M. Street said...

Hi Jess! I want to apologize for my being so out of touch. I've been sort of self-absorbed lately, stressing about grad school stuff. I'm so happy you have this blog, it's so neat to hear about your life in Malawi. In the pictures you seem quite happy--how long will you be there? Do you speak Chichewa? The locals seem like they have good senses of humor! Thanks for your updates and keep up the good work! BTW: I'll be starting my Expressive Arts Therapy Program in September, so totally excited about it...hugs, michelle in san diego

Jess said...

No problem Michelle. Great to hear from you. I only speak a few words/phrases of Chichewa so far. I am scheduled to leave in August, but I may stay longer. Congrats on grad school...let me know how it goes.