Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sam & Jessica get a life

Both Friday and Saturday night of this weekend, people called us, picked us up wherever we were in the city, and whisked us off to clubs and parties. It was a lot of fun. I was very happy to dance...

We spent last night at my friend Martha's house. She works for DAPP Farmer's Club in Lilongwe (where I met her) but she grew up in Blantyre and her family still lives there, not far from our house. Last night there was a fundraiser for the Catholic church going on in her backyard. They had a DJ and were playing both African and American songs. I will post pictures soon.

Her family was so kind and wonderful. We met her parents, her two sisters and two of her brothers. They talked with us and made us dinner. Malawi has been dubbed "the warm heart of Africa" because of people like them.

Martha's sister Doreen is traveling to NYC to visit a friend. Sam and I, both only having visited NYC, tried to advise her as best we could. I told her to try sushi. Everyone asked what it was and their ten year old brother Jeff exclaimed "fish!". We turned to him very surprised and I asked where he learned it. "Cartoons." came the reply. We all laughed and his father said he was glad he was actually learning something, that he thought he was just wasting his time!

I am very happy to be meeting more people and getting more of a taste of Malawian life. I was a little worried at first, because I wanted to get to know people beyond a work setting.

More soon...

No comments: